Welcome to the home page of Janet Elizabeth (JE) ... folkie, Scottish country dancer, theatre-goer, concert-goer and armchair gardener. I am also a volunteer computing advisor and an advocate of fairtrade, charity shops and freecycle, Apple Macs and travel without private motor vehicles.
Below are links to pages about some of my interests. Tap on images or bolded text to read more.
I enjoy helping people use computing devices and I do this in various ways:
* As a volunteer with "IT Support at Home" Service, run by the charity AbilityNet, I give free IT support to disabled and older people.
* I help members of the local U3A, publishing my Computer Beginners' help documents for reference online.
* I maintain separate web pages with more general computer help.
I enjoy various kinds of music and song, mainly with a traditional flavour, and especially when joining in however I wish!
* I like British traditional and traditional style Folk songs.
* I like learning about early music from the mediaeval period and perhaps Renaissance and Baroque periods, and am lucky to ne a volunteer with the innovative Brighton Early Musiv Festival.
* Like to sing Shapenote songs such as from the Sacred Harp book. This music is for the singers, not for audiences.
* I run a monthly U3A group learning about shanties and sea-songs, and am slowly publishing my shanty notes online.
As each year progresses, I go to, a number of festivals, where I enjoy singing my songs and listening to my friends, harmonising in the choruses, dancing English folk and early dance and learning other sorts of dancing and folk-related things in workshops. In the autumn is the delightful Bremf Brighton Early Music Festival and in the run-up to Christmas the lusty Brighton Pub Carols.